why we write

writer….
Tell tell a story.

To tell our stories.

To share our hearts.

To fall apart.

To pull ourselves together.

To communicate.

To send secret messages.

To laugh.

To learn.

To love.

To fight.

To die.

We write because we have no other choice.

Because writing consumes us or we consume it.

Because it gives voice to our tears, wind to our wings, air to our everything.

We write because we are alive.

Why do you write? Do you?

“If I don’t write to empty my mind, I go mad.”

– Lord Byron

Tagged , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “why we write

1. Amanda says:

Beautiful, my friend. Love this!

2. "HE WHO" says:

Love it! I think you’ve covered it all…except my specialty…babbling. I live to babble, or so I’m told.

I’m so glad you love it. Yes, babbling could fit into many parts of the above. I do it, too, although I *try* very much to avoid it in my writing…

3. Chris says:

I started writing just to manage the insanity of a project. Now the more isolated I become the more important writing becomes.

nice post, a great list. :)

What kind of project, Chris? I think many of us write as an outlet, and, yes, feel isolated. I know I do.

Thanks as always for reading and commenting. Hope you’re having a good week! :)

• Chris says:

Building our house project. It was a big endeavor so writing was a good way to share, vent, reflect.

Now that I work from home I’m fairly devoid of human contact during the day which is good and bad.

4. Dan Antion says:

That’s a pretty good list, beautifully crafted.

5. JMC813 says:

We also write just because we CAN Jess. Thanks for this. It is a meaningful write.

I felt inspired. It was a rough day. Yes, I suppose we do do the things we CAN. Not everyone writes. Not everyone feels they can write, although I think more can than actually do… Hope you’ve been well, John.

• JMC813 says:

I am recovering from a minor back strain but aside from that I am doing well. Looking forward to getting back in shape.
        I was referring to the freedom we all have to write if we choose and the benefits it provides the heart and mind. So therapeutic. It would be a calmer world if more people took the time to write away their anxieties. This really was a great piece. Be well my friend.

6. Dalo 2013 says:

That is a great post Jess, and I think the last quote you use by Lord Byron is most accurate “If I don’t write to empty my mind, I go mad” Writing somehow allows us to release all of those beautiful emotions you mention above, and experience them again. Cheers.

Yes… I actually found the quote from Byron while looking for an image to accompany this post. It fit so perfectly… Writing is definitely an outlet for me. Today was a rough day, and my first impulse was to express myself through writing — somehow…

• Dalo 2013 says:

Think of all the great writers and artists…they produced masterpieces when the world was “against” them. Rough days suck, but…just maybe it will trigger even more greatness from you :-)

7. Francis.R. says:

To forget, some day I noticed that what I wrote after a time I forget it in the written letters, so read them was like discover another person. I guess i’m just somebody that writes to oneself, but to read I just like to read someone that has the impulse and need to write.

I know what you mean when you talk about going back and reading things you have written in the past. When I read old journal entries or even letters I’ve written to others in the past, or when I revisit memories in such a way as to recall the emotions I was experiencing, it’s almost as if I’m in a dream. I remember how I felt back then, but it *is* almost as if I am observing another person. We change so much over the years… I’m glad you write, Francis. And glad you felt the urge to read my impulse writing today. It was a rough day and I just needed to get something out.

8. prospermind says:

bautifully wirtten Jess!

Another great post as usually, beautifully written too, Jess. It sounds like a poem and love the flow of it all. It’s as if your writing sings to me a song I want to listen to over and over again.

Why do I write? For all the reasons above. And to inspire. To challenge myself. To live. Hope all is well with everything, Jess :)

Thank you, Mabel! You’re so sweet. I always want my writing to me melodical. Good writing should be.

Glad you love to write, too, Mabel! You always have interesting things to say. :)

10. 1stpeaksteve says:

Blogging is great because it gives a person confidence to write and even more to let someone read what you write. I remember how unconfident I felt hitting the button to post my first few entries. Today that anxiety is long gone.

Without this outlet, it would be just doodling in a notebook that no one would see.

Glad you were found some time to purge the effects of a bad day!

Yes, writing for an audience is definitely good practice. I can tell when I haven’t been posting very often… My writing has definitely improved since I started my blog, and yes, sharing my thoughts and realizing that others relate has gone a long way…

I’m glad you blog, too, Steve! So glad to have you for a friend. :)

• 1stpeaksteve says:

Thanks for the very kind words. I enjoy your writing and am glad to have you as a friend. It is great to know some one who has had experiences similar to you.

Hope your week goes smooth!

11. charlypriest says:

I love the structure of this poem, and the words I don´t think you missed out any emotion :)

12. oldironhoss says: