here’s to thirty

IMG_0010ed2

This girl will always revel in nature… The moon rising behind my apartment the other night.

I turned thirty today. Wondered where the years have gone. I was never going to be thirty — ever. And here I am.

It’s a good thing, though — getting older. My twenties were good years, but hard. I “shifted” a lot as life changed. (You can see where I’m going with this.) I wrote in a post in 2012 when I was living in Hong Kong: “What I didn’t expect was the identity crisis — some things aren’t supposed to change.” I was referring to being young, to my family always being together, to being alone . . . We get used to things, us humans. We like routine; we form ideas about who we are.

And then things change.

In a few months’ time, I will be a sister-in-law. Someday, I may be an aunt. I will likely have stepbrothers and stepsisters before long . . . Hell, I might even get married!

Yes, my life, my perspective, my age is changing, but one thing will remain the same: I’ll always be me and everything that goes along with me. Hopefully, by thirty, I’m okay with that.

And you know what, I think I am!

Image: Mine. All rights reserved!!

Tagged , , , , ,

67 thoughts on “here’s to thirty

Happy birthday! Here’s to a good year ahead for you :) I like how the moon is all garbled-looking in the picture…always expect the unexpected.

2. Happy birthday Jess. You are just getting into the swing of things :)

3. Dan McGaffin says:

It gets better the older you get. Happy birthday.

Thanks, Dan. That gives me hope. I’m not so sure about the “Golden Years.” I’ve heard too many people say that that’s a bunch of bunk. Guess we’ll see!

4. tiramit says:

Wonderful! Happy Birthday, forever young…

5. Happy Birthday Jess!

6. Steve says:

Happy birthday.

7. 1stpeaksteve says:

Happy Birthday!

I read some things I wrote in my late teens and early 20’s and I sounded like a goof ball. Age is supposed to give you new outlooks on things. I use “supposed” because some adults never grow as a person.

As long as you keep active and keep learning you will hardly feel like you are getting old in a traditional sense.

“The minute you stop learning you start dying” has always been my motto, Steve. So I totally agree. It *is* weird to hear songs I listened to in high school being played on the radio station that’s playing “today’s hits and yesterday’s favorites.” Since when did songs like Oleander’s “I Walk Alone” become oldies?!

• 1stpeaksteve says:

That is scary with the music. Even worse is when you see young performers you grew up with come back on stage and they are 25 pounds heavier and have grey in their hair. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hahaha. So true!! I’ve worn to myself to always maintain myself so that, at all of my class reunions, I’ll be the one who hasn’t gained all that weight!

8. Here’s to thirty more!

9. JayM says:

Happy Birthday!

10. Hope you had a good birthday, birthday buddy. I feel similarly about turning thirty: the twenties were good but hard. I am looking forward to this new decade. :-)

~Jason

Thanks, Jason. Your 30th was on the 28th, too? Happy Birthday! I was actually almost born on the 29th… I still think that that would have been cool.

I wish you the best as you enter this next decade, too! :) Thanks for reading and commenting!

11. Dalo 2013 says:

Happy Birthday, and enjoy the new opportunities (changes) coming your way!

Thanks, Randall! And if you’re ever in California, you really must let me know. I will make it back to Asia someday, but at this point it may be a while. :(

12. Happy Birthday:)

Ah, to be thirty again and have a whole future ahead of me!

Don’t waste the years ahead. You are the creator of your future. Think of when you’ll be sixty (not so far away, I can assure you)- just thirty more years- and what you hope to have accomplished by then. It’s all about one step at a time and not resisting change.

13. matt says:

Happy Birthday, Jessica.

14. have a wonderful birthday, Jess!
    i love the wisdom and maturity that is entailed with aging, that naturally comes through each passing year. indeed, we are not in the same place we were before, say 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even last year. although our outer appearance might be changing, your heart remains young. =) may your 30th year be filled with much adventure, excitement, and growth.

Thank you so much, sweet Sophia. You are right — aging brings maturity and growth, if we let it. I like what Carol said: We are the creators of our future. I never want to forget that.

And I am behind on reading your posts! I will try to catch up soon!

15. happy birthday to my dear friend! have a coffee!

16. Happy birthday Ms. Jessica! Here’s your cupcake and a candle…Make a wish! (we have birthdays around here this week too) Enjoy it! You only turn 30 once!

17. Happy birthday! I also turn thirty this month. I like the perspective you just shared. It made me think a little bit more positively about this new milestone!

18. Happy 30, Jess. Buckle up. The 30s go fast!

19. nebrtwin says:

Happy birthday! My birthday was the 27th, and I am treading very close to that line entering my 30’s.

20. I am a little late in reading this post. Anyways, wish you a many many happy returns of the day. :)

Wish you all the happiness this year, and the year after, and the year after, and the year after….. :D

Thank you, Allwin! Means so much. And I’m sorry I’m behind on your blog!! My life has been crazy lately (you’ll see why in my next post). I am way behind period. :/

21. JMC813 says:

Happy late Birthday Jess. Age is just a number and life is constant motion so shift’s are inevitable. Hope you are doing well and had a terrific B-day.

Thank you, John!! Your kind words mean so much. I agree that age is just a number. Perspective and shifting are everything. ;) Hope you’re having a great day!!

22. mabukach says:

Happy Belated bday, Jess. Hope you had a great one. Welcome to 30’s – water’s nice.

23. Jean says:

Best wishes.

Believe me, wait until you get several decades down the road. I celebrated my b-day on blog also.

Thanks, Jean. And that’s what everyone keep saying. Sometimes I really wish I could slow life down!

I’ve been meaning to stop by your blog for a few days now. Life’s been so crazy lately. I’ll catch up soon! Happy Belated Birthday!!

24. MikeW says:

HB! Have an infinitely good year!

Thanks so much, Mike! And sorry I haven’t been by your blog more recently. Life’s been crazy, and going to continue that way for some time. But I’ll catch up one of these days — promise!

25. Sam Han says:

Happy belated birthday Jessica! Change is good when you embrace and make the best out of it. People do cling to routine for fear of unknown, that’s true. And youth plays a part in the courage to take on challenge. As we grow older, we become more compliant, not everyone, and the latter remain young at heart! I wish you all the best, and no matter what, I hope you live life to the fullest with great meaning and pleasure. I know you are resilient and full of drive. Happy brand new year, my friend :D

I can’t believe I missed this one, Sam. Thank you so much. Your words are so wise. I always want to remain young at heart!

Hope your week is off to a great start!

• Sam Han says:

Hehe, that’s alright. I often get late comments or am not informed until I needed something from a previous post and then see comments that I’d missed. Nonetheless, my best wishes for you, young lady! May you dare to dream big and strive to live bigger :D

I certainly will, Sam!! Here’s to listening to our hearts. :)