poetry

canoe2

Poetry’s in the journey . . .

Poetry I cannot force,
it comes and then it goes.
Like a river at its source,
it ebbs and then it flows.

Words, you see, are only that,
and rhyme and rhythm, too.
Poetry’s not pit-a-pat,
but here in me and you.

–in the sun and in the rain,
the things that quiet tears;
in the love and in the pain–
experience of years.

Then the poet, what is she?
She’s nothing like a muse.
Rather, she’s a puppet, see,
and words her only use.

So poetry, my fickle friend,
I wonder what’s in store?
Will you stay until the end,
or show me to the door?
For an audio recording of this poem, click here:

“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”
Charles Bukowski

Note: The first stanza of this poem came to me in a moment of frustration when I was trying very, very hard to write another poem on a very different subject–and getting nowhere. Since that time, it has taken me FOREVER to finish this. Fickle is right!

Image: Pinterest

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “poetry

1. I enjoyed this but this bit made me particularly smile:

“Then the poet, what is she?…Rather, she’s a puppet, see…”

I wonder how many poets, writers and artists would smile in recognition of howling in anguish and toil because their muse is hibernating and stubbornly refuses to pull the strings.

Haha. I think most of us would recognize that anguish! I find poetry frustrating becomes sometimes it comes easily and then other times it’s like pulling teeth! One of these days I’m going to write a post demonstrating all of the poems I’ve started but been able to finish. There are a lot.

Hope you’re having a great week!

2. Myles says:

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

3. Myles says:

I used to write poetry. But it tore me to pieces. I stopped. J

4. “Poetry, my fickle friend…”

“–in the sun and in the rain,
    the things that quiet tears;
    in the love and in the pain–
    experience of years.”

Knocked it out the park on this one, my friend! If this is what you said you were working on last week, it was definitely worth the effort, and the wait…

805 thumbs up! :o)

5. MikeW says:

This poem is woven so well, it insulates a clear thought in a beautiful, evolving way. It is like a perfectly formed, graceful, symmetric jellyfish in pristine waters. There’s humor about its undulating, self contained presence, with rhymes being the consistent pulse that moves it; yet it could sting, getting us caught up in those trails leading to poetry’s door. Transparency, too, is implied, that leaves us unsure if we have seen it all. And that leaves the thoughtful door open. A joy to read “Poetry.”

6. Bupe Rose says:

“Will you stay with me until the end, or show me to the door” … this is so true for all forms of writing. Great stuff my friend!

7. Terrific! I enjoyed it immensely.

8. That was really nice Ms. Jessica. Again, it made more sense to me or became much clearer when you read it. Its really a wonderful creative piece.

9. What is poetry but another way to start a network of conversation. Would you say that poetry can express better how a situation occurs for you? Would you say that poetry holds the power to empower you into more creative thoughts?

Shakti

I like that thought, Shakti — that poetry can start a network of conversation. I’d say poetry definitely helps express the feelings stirred by a situation in a very succinct way. I think that that’s the beauty of poetry. It takes out the excess and leaves us with that which matters — raw emotion… which, yes, can lead to even more creative thoughts.

My problem, as a friend has pointed out, is that that I get too stuck on the technical side of poetry. I allow rhyme and rhythm to dictate rather than thought. I’m working on that.

Thank you for sharing!

10. Jess, wonderful. You put a smile on my face and remind me again how beautiful art soothes the soul. You are delightful artist. :-)

11. Dan McGaffin says:

I stayed until the end. ;)

12. Very nice, Jessica, I love the thought that poetry is here in me and you. Both words and picture really touched me.

13. This is so lovely Jessica!
    I loved hearing you read the words ~ such a beautiful voice reading beautiful expressions.
    I feel inspired by this, thank you for sharing!
    ~Andrea<3

14. Robert Mudge says:

that girl reads poetry well ;)

Aww, thank you. Actually, I’ve been wanting to re-record this but haven’t had time. The second to last stanza has been bugging me. Oh well!

Thanks Robert! Hope your weekend is off to a great start!

• Robert Mudge says:

You’re welcome! Ha, I know exactly what you mean. I do the same thing. Sometimes we are our own worst critic. I think you did great :) And thank you, hope the same for you!

15. fridaychen7 says:

Ye, I got to read your poems again!! It is a great pleasure to read this one and listen to your reading!! You are awesome, and thank you so much for sharing your talent of writing and amusing thoughts!!!

Aww, you are so kind! I’m glad you liked this. I really wrote it out of a moment of frustration when I was finding writing poetry hard. I *do* love writing it, though.

It is always nice to hear from you!!!

16. Sam Han says:

never ever go to the door because you write so beautifuuly, Jessica! :D

17. dalo2013 says:

Very nice Jess, the words and flow of what you say in incredible…also made so much better (and easier) with your voice, like I mentioned before it really is nice to hear your cadence while thinking about the words. Beautiful.

I’m glad you liked this one, Randy. I really like the first two stanzas. I’m with you, though — I like the next poem about a “simple life” even better. And yes, I too feel the recorded version of the poems. Poetry is meant to be heard as much as read!