writer’s block

writers-block

I’m reaching and falling.
I’m hemming and hawing.
I’m trying and failing.
I’m rowing, now bailing.
Stop.

Another day.

(Go outside.)
(Never give up.)

My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living. — Anais Nin

Related articles

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “writer’s block

1. vandevenbram says:

Creativity is just one of those things-like love, that come only when you do not look for them. And that can be pretty annoying at times. I feel you on this.

2. dinkerson says:

This is why, it seems, art is something mystical. Spiritual.
    They say it flows out from within, I saw it’s manifested through from an external source.
    When it’s not flowing, searching deeper within will get you nowhere.
    I like that, though. I like that feeling like I’m tapping into something that’s bigger than me.
    Eric Liddel said, “When I run, I feel His pleasure”. I think the same may be said of an artist and his art… even if they don’t get why.

I agree with that. It’s funny, though. For me, inspiration is all about having something to say. If I’m sure of my subject, I don’t even have to think about it. It just flows. Or, if it’s not flowing (as in my rock-climbing posts, which took a lot of time and effort so that they’d be concise), I can pick up a book by my favorite author and, after a page or two, suddenly, the rivers burst forth…

I guess it *is* something magical, in a way. I don’t know where it comes from. It’s just there… That Eric Liddell quote is great. Thanks so much for commenting. :)

3. Terri Nelson says:

I’m not much of a writer but sometimes, I don’t know why I get on a roll. Who knows, it must be magic mixed with mucho hard work.

Haha. Writing well definitely *is* hard work, Terri. I’m glad sometimes you get on a roll, and I hope you enjoy it. I love writing more than almost anything. :)

4. I love this post. And I absolutely LOVE Anais Nin! Cheers new friend. xo

5. It is actually true. Ideas come in the midst of living. An idea for a post I wrote fairly recently came to me when I was crossing the road.

6. Carrie Rubin says:

Ah, yes, I recognize this feeling.

Thanks for stopping by my site. I appreciate it!

7. tiramit says:

I scribble down notes all the time in a small notebook and sometimes I just key them in and see if they fit together; create a piece from that – worth a try?

A notebook is a good idea. It’s something I try to keep with me at all times (though sometimes I forget). My best posts are usually about something I’m really passionate about at the moment, though. *That*—finding that passion—is most often my dilemma when having writer’s block.

8. this happens to me almost daily…keep looking for that inspirational point

9. Nice poem! The message of not giving up is one I included in a poem that I uploaded yesterday, which is on a similar theme. It’s actually my first ever full poem:

I hope it inspires whoever reads it.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

10. “My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living.”
    — Anais Nin

I believe many of us like me can relate to this statement. A writer’s block is less while writing something that one can relate to and is passionate about. In my recent article, I hardly faced such a condition.

However the one before that, hmm… don’t ask!!!

You are VERY right. When I am writing about something I am passionate about, or know exactly what I want to say, writer’s block is NEVER a problem. It’s in the opposite situation that the “block” can be the case.

Thank you for reading! Nice to meet you!

11. eldinsmille says:

I do not believe in writers blocade! Or inspiration!
    You working or not!
    Even if you thinking about it – that is work also!

I love your poem!

Thank you! I only believe in writer’s block when I’m not sure what I want to say. ;) Inspiration comes from having something to say. And yes, all of it is hard work!

Thanks for your comment!